Scare up a good book!

Here’s the deal. You can order great books through Scholastic. Sometimes they even give you a great deal. (Always check out the $1 book on the front page.) An even better deal, the more books you order, the more free books I can get for our classroom library. There are two ways to order:

1) Fill out the paper form and bring it with your money (checks made out to Scholastic) by Friday, October 26.

2) Order online at Scholastic (for parents only). On the parent page, click the “REGISTER” button under “First time here,” then register for your own user name and password. When prompted, enter the one-time activation code code (GPBPV). This code ensures that your orders are sent to me. Select the books you want from over 500 titles. Take advantage of on-line only discounts and specials. You will also get a coupon for $5 for your next book order.  SEND your order to me on-line. I will deliver the books in class.

Here are some of my favorites:

• The Raven and Other Poems by Edgar Alan Poe – spooky and only $1
  • Son by Lois Lowry – finally there is a sequel to The Giver
  • Cardboard by Doug TenNapel – another graphic novel
  • The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch – a haunting dystopian novel
  • Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu – a fairy tale like you haven’t read before
  • How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg – informational text that explains how famous people died
  • Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs – some very peculiar things are going on
  • The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan – third (and final?) book in the Heroes of Olympus series
  • A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz – what really happened with Hansel and Gretel?
  • Flush and Hoot by Carl Hiaasen – funny environmental mysteries
  • Planet Middle School by Nikki Grimes – basketball, boys, and changes–all told in poetry
  • Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie and After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick – two of the funniest books about cancer you’ll ever read
  • The Batboy, The Big Field, and Heat by Mike Lupica – lots of baseball action
  • Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen – Samuel must use his tracking skills to rescue his parents from the British
  • The Red Kayak and The Journey Back by Priscilla Cummings – Will Brady find the courage to speak the truth?  Will Digger break out of juvenile hall to save his family?