Mrs. McGriff's Reading Blog

Happy reading!

The Crossing by Jim Murphy

| 0 comments

Don’t know much ’bout history…At least I thought I knew a little something about history.  Then I started reading books like The Crossing:  How George Washington Saved the American Revolution (Scholastic Press 2010) and realized how much my history textbooks left out.  Don’t worry.  Jim Murphy has come through to fill  you in on all the juicy details.

This side of history views George Washington  as a great military leader, our first president, and the father of our country.  The other side of history was not nearly as sure of Washington’s success.  Washington wasn’t sure he was up for the job either since he had never commanded such a large military force.  The first years of the war didn’t give anyone much reason to hope for victory as Washington and his army was outmaneuvered by the British army again and again.  The Continental Congress was ready to replace Washington with someone else.  In fact, they would have replaced him with General Charles Lee, but he had the misfortune of being captured by the British first.

The famous painting of Washington Crossing the Delaware by Emanuel Gottlieb Leutze may not be historically accurate, but it does dramatically portray one of the key turning points of the American Revolution.  Somehow a ragtag army led by an inexperienced commander defeated the mightiest army in the world at that time.  The rest, as they say, is history, and Jim Murphy brings it to life.