August Books Read

128) Bartimeaus:  The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud – finally, a story told by the jihn

129) Roanoke Island:  The Beginnings of English America by David Stick – a comprehensive summary of the events leading up to and following the Lost Colony

130) The Hive Detectives:  Chronicle of a Honey Bee Catastrophe by Loree Griffin Burns – I never knew bees could be so fascinating

131) Borrowed Names by Jeannine Atkins – poems reveal the stories of famous mothers and daughters–Laura Ingalls and Rose Wilder, Madam CJ and A’Lelia  Walker, Marie and Irene and Eve Curie

132) Guys Read:  Funny Business by John Scieszka and others – another hilarious hit.  I listened to this one and now want a copy for my classroom

133) Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel – I loved it!

134) Crunch by Leslie Connor – for a book about a disaster (the world running out of gas), it is a fun and optimistic read

135) Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick – What a powerful and inspiring story.

136) Bamboo People by Mitali Perkins – my reading seems to be taking me to Asia lately, and this is another inspiring story of courage and forgiveness

2 Comments on August Books Read

1. Sherry
    September 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm (12 years ago)

You’ve done a great job reading through the YHBA list!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      September 5, 2012 at 9:54 am (12 years ago)

I’m almost all the way through! I started Crossings by Jim Murphy this morning, and have two more to go after that. I’m impressed with this year’s selection–lots of good books in a variety of genres.

Reply