5th, 6th, 7th Week at a Glance: August 27 – 31

Monday

Pretest.  We’ll get started on the pretest as soon you you come in so you have plenty of time.  Don’t worry, this test does not go in the gradebook.  It just lets me know what we need to focus on this year.  I’ll pass out textbooks while you work on the test.  You can leave the text book in your locker.  I have a class set to use when we read stories in class.  Hopefully, you will have time to read once you finish.
Homework: Read.

Tuesday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  Creating line and stanza breaks.  Poetry looks different from prose on the page.  Poets use line breaks to create rhythm and emphasize important words.  Stanzas work in a similar way as paragraphs to separate ideas.  Look at your poems and make thoughtful choices with your line and stanza breaks.  Experiment until you find what works best.
Homework: Read.

Wednesday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  Peer conferences.  Writers don’t work alone.  Most of the writers I know have critique groups or partners who give feedback on their work.  I ask you to do the same.  Use the Peer Conference Form to record the feedback you give and receive.  Before you turn a poem into me, you should ask for feedback from at least two different people.  Once you get feedback from someone, consider what they say.  Then go and make changes to improve your writing.  Check out this cool blog post by Gae Polisner on giving and receiving feedback.
Homework: Read.

Thursday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  Reading a textbook, part three.  Focus on setting.  When and where is the action taking place?  How does the setting affect the action?
Homework: Read.

Friday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  Welcome to blogging! Today you will get your very own blog and write your first blog post.  It’s easy.  Your post will list five things you like about 8th grade.  Follow the directions listed here to get started logging in and writing your first post.  If you have time, visit your classmates’ blogs and leave them a friendly comment.
Homework: Read.  Book orders due.