Mrs. McGriff's Reading Blog

Happy reading!

2nd, 3rd Week at a Glance: August 20 – 24

| 8 Comments

Monday

Pretest.  We’ll get started on the pretest as soon you you come in so you have plenty of time.  Don’t worry, this test does not go in the gradebook.  It just lets me know what we need to focus on this year.  I’ll pass out textbooks while you work on the test.  You can leave the text book in your locker.  I have a class set to use when we read stories in class.  Hopefully, you will have time to read once you finish.
Homework: Read.

Tuesday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  The rule of write about a pebble.  The best poems–and writing–are grounded in specific concrete objects.  Look over the drafts of your poems.  Are you writing about something in general (puppies, love, friends, family, nature), or are you writing about a specific fall day, a kitten you play with, a time you went camping, the amazing sunset you saw last night.  Revise one of your poems by focusing on something specific.  OR choose an object from my collection to write about.  Genre notes on historical fiction.
Homework: Read.

Wednesday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.   Cut to the bone.  Poetry packs a punch–putting as much meaning into as few of words as possible.  One way to revise your writing is to cut out unnecessary words.  Some writers say that you can cut as much as 50% of a first draft and not lose any meaning.  Be ruthless.  Cut out any word you don’t need.  Where can you replace a phrase with a more powerful word?
Homework: Read.

Thursday

LIBRARY.  Library day is all about the books.  Miss Bowman will give us a brief orientation to the library.  Take advantage of the much bigger selection of books available.  Then we get lots of time to read!
Homework: Read.

Friday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  Welcome to blogging! Today you will get your very own blog and write your first blog post.  It’s easy.  Your post will list five things you like about 8th grade.  Follow the directions listed here to get started logging in and writing your first post.  If you have time, visit your classmates’ blogs and leave them a friendly comment.
Homework: Read.

8 Comments

1. Hi Mrs. McGriff, I am exited to have a good year with you and can’t wait until Survivor Book Club starts. I just wanted to let you know a little bit about how I feel about language arts class. My family and many close friends know I have a reading obsession, but when it comes to writing and having an imagination I feel like I’m not very good at it. Just wanted to let you know a little bit about me.

• Thank you! Trust me, all that reading you do is going to pay off with your writing. Don’t stress over it. We’ll take everything one step at a time. You’ll be amazed at what you’ve written by the end of the year.

2. Hello Mrs. McGriff,
    I’m very excited about this class, but I’m kinda scared about reading the 50 books I’m not a very fast reader. :)

• Don’t be scared. You will be surprised at how much you can read when you spend a little time each day doing it. Remember, they don’t all have to be big, fat books. You’ll discover, too, that the more you read, the easier it gets and the faster you will get. Last year’s students thought they couldn’t do it either, but they did.

3. WOW! Did you see that horrible spelling up there, I just hit the wrong letters I guess ! :)

4. I am so gload that the pre test doesn’t do in the grade book! I am pretty sure I didn’t do very well at all! :)