5th, 6th, 7th Week at a Glance: August 13 – 17

Monday

Read first 15 minutes of class.  Today we organize your binders!  You can find detailed information on how to label your dividers and what goes in each section if you click on the Language Arts Binder tab at the top of the page.  I try to upload many of the handouts to this page in case you lose them want to see them when you don’t have your binder.  We will start discussing and taking notes on different genres of literature.  Today we’ll describe realistic fiction.
Homework: Read.

Tuesday

Read first 15 minutes of class.  Today we will revise your paragraph introducing your partner by looking at nouns and verbs.  Go through and circle the nouns in your paragraph.  Where can you replace a general noun with one that is more specific?  Next, underline the verbs.  How many of your verbs show action?  Brainstorm verbs that show action to add to your paragraph. Genre notes on mystery/suspense.
Homework: Read.

Wednesday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  Where I’m From poem.  Brainstorm a list of words and phrases that describe where you are from.  Include favorite foods, family and holiday traditions, places that matter to you, things you love to do, memories from your childhood, a description of the landscape outside your house or in your room.  Use your ideas to create a list poem.  Genre notes on historical fiction.
Homework: Read.

Thursday

Read first fifteen minutes of class. You need to bring your history book to class today.  We are going to learn and practice some reading strategies that can help you be more successful in your other classes, too.  Today we will talk about how predicting before you read can help you understand and remember the text better.  We’ll practice with your history textbook.  Genre notes on science fiction.
Homework: Read.

Friday

Read first fifteen minutes of class.  Welcome to blogging!  Before you get your own blog, spend some time exploring my blog.  Complete the Blog Scavenger Hunt.  Be sure to leave a comment on some page or post on my blog before you leave.  Genre notes on fantasy.
Homework: Read.

2 Comments on 5th, 6th, 7th Week at a Glance: August 13 – 17

1. kasen r
    August 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm (12 years ago)

I read the bee aticol i thank is cool the way they make hunny

August 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm (12 years ago)

It is definitely interesting. I had just never thought about how they actually turned the nectar and pollen into honey before.