2nd & 3rd Week at a Glance: August 8 – 10

Welcome back!  I’m excited to begin a new school year together with you.  Here is what you can expect this first week.

Wednesday

Come in and find your seat.  Yes, your names are on your desks.  Check the board for your assignment.  Read the quote and write down your thoughts about it on a sheet of paper.  Discuss with the people at your table.  Take home my letter to your parents (you can read it, too) and our class rules.  The class rules need to be signed and brought back by Monday.  You have three options for completing the letter assignment.  1) Your parent or guardian writes a letter telling me all about you.  2) Another adult (aunt or uncle, grandparent, neighbor) writes a letter telling me all about you.  3)  You write a letter telling me all about you.  It is also due on Monday.  You should also have all of your supplies for class by Monday.  Click here for more information on supplies.  The goal for today is a book frenzy.  By the end of class, everyone should have chosen your first book to read.

Thursday

Bring your book because you will read the first 15 minutes of class.  What is a poem? We’ll discuss the definition of free verse poetry and brainstorm characteristics of poems. Our writing this first few months will focus on the question, Who Am I? We’ll start with poetry. The best writing comes from your heart. Draw a large heart on a piece of paper. Fill the heart with the things that are important to you. You might include people, places, objects, pets, memories, moments.Choose something from your heart map to begin drafting a poem.  Click here to see my example.
Homework: Read and finish draft of poem.

Friday

Read first 15 minutes of class. Brainstorm a list of phrases that describe where you are from. You might include places you’ve lived or visited, family expressions, holiday traditions, favorite foods and activities, music. Use the ideas in your list to draft a poem about where you are from. Click here to read my poem, and here are some student examples.
Homework: Read and finish Where I’m From poem.

2 Comments on 2nd & 3rd Week at a Glance: August 8 – 10

1. lawson h
    August 17, 2012 at 9:38 am (12 years ago)

HI Mrs. McGriff I really like your class thank you alot.

August 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm (12 years ago)

I’m glad you like it. I think we’re going to have a great year.