July books read

101) Wake by Lisa McMann – seriously freaky.  I may get nightmares from this one.

102) **Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper – This is the book I will be pushing all year.  I’m so glad it’s on the Young Hoosier list for next year.

103) **A Tale Dark a Grimm by Adam Gidwitz – Don’t read this true story of Hansel and Gretel on a dark and stormy night.

104) I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 by Lauren Tarshis – quite timely with the reports of sharks off the coast of New England this week

105) I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005 by Lauren Tarshis – It’s still hard for me to imagine the terror of those days.

106)  I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 by Lauren Tashis – a good companion to Harry Mazer’s A Boy at War

107) I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 by Lauren Tashis – another quick read

108) **The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P Figg by Rodman Philbrick – a funny look at the adventures of a boy during the Civil War

109) Fly Girl by Sherri L. Smith – I am fascinated by anything to do with early women flyers and the WASP.  This book is an excellent choice.

110) Slob by Ellen Patterson – not at all what I expected, but much, much better

111) Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed – wise and funny and brutally honest

112) **Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake – not at all what I typically expect from a ghost story–much better!

113) **Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan – A-MAZ-ING.  I feel like singing for some reason…

114) **Looking for Alaska by John Green – This book has it all–big questions, quirky and flawed characters, laugh-out-loud moments

115) The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan and Pete r Sis – deceptively simple, but opens up much depth in thought

116)  How to Babysit a Grandpa by Jean Reagan, illustrated by Lee Wildish – just what ever kid needs to know

117) Walter the Farting Dog:  Banned from the Beach by William Kotzwinkle, Glenn Murray, Elizabeth Gundy, illustrated by Audrey Colman – funny

118) Surviving the Angel of Death:  the Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz by Eva Mozes Kor and Lisa Buccieri – It is still hard for me to wrap my brain and heart around the horrors experienced during the Holocaust.  This is an inspiring story of courage and forgiveness and hope.

119) A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park – stories of two children in Sudan weave together

120) **Wild:  From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed – I’m inspired to go hiking, but with boots that fit

121) My Sister the Father by Meri Whitaker – a humorous look at mission work and a heart filled with compassion

122)  **A Year by the Sea:  Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman by Joan Anderson – thoughtful and reflective

123)  Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley – I’m not sure what I think of this one

124) **Cate of the Lost Colony by Lisa Klein – Will we ever know what really happened?  Probably not, but I like how this one ends

125) Roanoke The Lost Colony:  an Unsolved Mystery from History by Jane Yolen & Heidi Elisabet Yolen Stemple, illustrated by Roger Roth – clearly presents the facts and explains the various theories

126) Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks – I couldn’t resist since we stayed in Salvo, which runs into Rodanthe

127) **The Coffin Quilt: The Feud Between the Hatfields and the McCoys by Ann Rinaldi – a gripping story of the Hatfield and the McCoys

I didn’t quite make my goal of a book a day for July, but with 27 books in 31 days, I came close.  I’m currently in the middle of three other books, so I’m off to a good start for August as well.  I starred** my favorites above.  What have been your favorite reads for July?

2 Comments on July books read

1. Shannon Clark
    July 31, 2012 at 11:07 pm (12 years ago)

WOW! That’s about all I can say!!

Reading rockstar!

I guess the book that stands out in my mind the most from my July reading was The Boy in the Striped Pajamas-written from the viewpoint of a 9 year old boy during the Holocaust. VERY powerful!

Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

August 2, 2012 at 5:35 am (12 years ago)

I loved The Boy in the Striped Pajamas! The boy’s innocence combined with the horror of the Holocaust was chilling.