Mrs. McGriff's Reading Blog

Happy reading!

June books read

| 0 comments

76) Chomp by Carl Hiaasen – a funny romp through an Everglades mystery

77) Buck Fever by Cynthia Willis -  a hunting story that is so much more

78) Cloaked in Red by Vivian Vande Velde – different short stories retelling Little Red Riding Hood

79) The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller- I learn something new every time I read it

80) Brain Camp by Susan Kim, Laurence Klaven and Faith Erin Hicks- you’ve never been to camp like this

81) Amulet:  Book One:  The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi – I now know why these are so popular in my classroom

82) Storm Runners:  Eruption by Roland Smith – an action-packed conclusion to the Storm Runners trilogy

83) What a Writer Needs by Ralph Fletcher  - so good, so good

84) Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick – made me laugh and cry

85) Terezin:  Voices from the Holocaust by Ruth Thompson – haunting text and images

86) Plagues, Pox, and Pestilence by written by Richard Platt and illustrated by John Kelly – fascinating look at germs and disease

87) Vordak the Incomprehensible:  How to Grow Up and Rule the World by Scott Seegert – funny, over the top, and way too dangerous to share with my daughter

88) Star Island by Carl Hiaasen (audio book) – a little raunchy, a little over the top, a lot funny

89) Bitter Melon by Cara Chow – powerful story about what it truly means to succeed and find your own voice

90) Pyrotechnics on the Page by Ralph Fletcher – I can’t wait to share with my students and try in my own writing

91) Phantoms in the Snow by Kathleen Benner Duble – a definite page turner that raises important questions about war without giving any easy answers

92) Owl Moon by Jane Yolen – I finally got to read it, and I’m glad.

93) Plain Kate by Erin Bow – Kate is not plain at all, and neither is this fantasy of blood and gifts and magic

94) Shimmer by Alyson Noël – I wasn’t expecting the historical twist, but I liked it.

95) Bootleg:  Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition by Karen Blumenthall – this is what nonfiction should be–fascinating look at a period of history

96) Mentor Author, Mentor Texts by Ralph Fletcher – I can’t wait to share this gem with my students.

97) Irises by Francisco X. Stork, narrated by Carrington MacDuffie – a quiet story about the strength of sisterhood

98) Going Bovine by Libba Bray – I LOVE this book–smart, funny, and utterly random.

99) Sign Language by Amy Ackley – the writing got in the way of the story for me

100)  Tales from the Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang, narrated by Toby Stephens – I listened to the four tales included in this collection

I set a goal to read 200 books this year, and I just might make it.  I had hoped to be a little further ahead since I do a lot of reading during the summer months–much more than I can do doing the school year.  I didn’t quite make book-a-day for June, but I didn’t do too badly, finishing 25 books in 30 days.  I am taking full advantage of audio books, too.  I can download them from our public library, and Sync YA is offering two free downloads a week through the summer.  Each week they pair a contemporary title with a classic.  This week has up Tales from the Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang (made cleaning the house much more enjoyable this morning) and The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.  Click the link above for more titles coming up through the summer.

It’s hard to pick favorites this month because I read so many good titles.  I loved Going Bovine by Libba Bray, Plain Kate by Erin Bow, Bootleg:  Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition by Karen Blumenthall, and Girls, Drums, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick.  I was pleasantly surprised by Bitter Melon by Cara Chow and Phantoms in the Snow by Kathleen Benner Duble.  What have been your favorite reads this month?  Just wait until you see what Vordak the Incomprehensible has inspired me to do!