Dream Big…Read

Now that school is out, you have time for all the fun things you want to do.  Hopefully, you’ll find time for a little bit of reading, too.  How do you like my pile of books for summer reading?  These are books I picked up through book orders and the book fair but didn’t have time to read through the school year.  I hope to enjoy most of them so I can add them to the class library next fall.  Which should I read first?  The bottom picture is the stack of next year’s Young Hoosier books.  I’m excited.  I’ve already read a couple of titles and have been wanting to read several more.

Even though you have left my class, there are lots of ways to connect with other readers.

• Start with the Summer Reading Program at the Jennings County Library.  You can earn prizes for any and all reading you do and for completing different challenges.  You can also enter raffle drawings for even more prizes!  I just signed up this morning.  Here’s the link to the teen sign up:  Own the Night.   If someone older or younger wants to sign up, click the tab at the top for the appropriate age range.  You can also hang out at the library on Thursdays at 1 pm for Teen Navigators.  Explore something new every week!
  • Did you know you can read with your ears?  I love audio books.  I can read while doing mindless chores like washing dishes, weeding the garden, or mowing grass.  I can even read while I run!  You can download audiobooks (and e-books for Nook and Kindle) straight from the Jennings County Public Library.  Download the Overdrive app straight to your iPod Touch, tablet, smartphone, or computer to get started.
  • Sync YA Literature into Your Earphones is giving away two free audiobooks a week, starting June 14.  Explore a contemporary YA title paired with a classic title.  It uses the same Overdrive software as the library.
  • See what’s happening on GoodReads.  It is social networking for readers.  It’s a great place to discover new books and connect with your favorite authors.  Check out my page to see what I’m reading.
  • Of course, you can drop by here anytime to check out what I’m reading.  Be sure to let me know your favorite books from the summer!

Happy Reading!

2 Comments on Dream Big…Read

1. jcmslibrary
    May 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm (12 years ago)

I signed up the for the Summer Reading Program yesterday! I’m excited!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      May 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm (12 years ago)

Now I just need to remember to log the minutes I read!

Reply