Torn by Margaret Peterson Haddix

I’ve now finished Torn (Scholastic 2011), the fourth book in Margaret Peterson Haddix’s The Missing series.  I still don’t know who Jonah was in history, and I may not ever learn.  It may not even be nearly as important as who he is in the present and his travels throughout history.

This time Jonah and his sister Katherine find themselves stuck on Henry Hudson’s ship Discoverie in 1611.  They arrive in the middle of a mutiny and find that the ragged, desperate sailors are nearly out of food and hope.  Don’t forget that the captain, Henry Hudson, is absolutely crazy.   Unknown to everyone but Katherine and Jonah, time is unravelling due to Second’s  inteference.  Just when things can’t get any worse, Jonah and Katherine lose all contact with the other time travelers.  Can Jonah survive in his disguise of John Hudson?  Can Katherine remain invisible long enough to get some answers?

Just like the in other books in the series, Haddix delivers action and intrigue wrapped up in historical events.  This is one time and place I don’t want to visit.  Hudson’s desire for fame and glory led to his crew’s near destruction.  I also like the mix of history and science fiction provided by the time travel.  Even though JB is trying to fix time and Second is trying to improve history, neither of them really know what they are doing.  Through it all Jonah and Katherine have to make decisions on what they think is important–saving the people they have come to care about.

At least this end doesn’t leave you hanging like the previous installments.  I still want to see how the rest of the series unfolds, but this ending actually ends.  As always,  I enjoyed the author’s note at the end where she explained the fact from the fiction.