Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer by John Grisham

Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer was not what I was expecting from John Grisham.  I was expecting lots of action and excitment, maybe even danger and intrigue, but that is not what the book delivered.

Theo, the title character, is a nice enough kid, giving free legal advice to his friends.  He hangs out at the courthouse and his parents’ law offices and dreams of the day when he is a leading player in the courtroom.  He’s just not decided what his future role wiill be–hard-hitting lawyer or solemn judge.

Theo can’t wait to sit in on the town’s biggest murder trial in years.  It’s too bad school gets in the way, but Theo manages to track every nuance of the trail.  Then a classmate comes to Theo with a witness who saw something no one knows about.  This witness’s testimony could change the outcome of the trial, but as an illegal immigrant he is afraid to come foward and swears Theo to secrecy.  Now Theo must decide:  Will he keep his promise to the mystery witness and watch a murderer walk free?

I enjoyed this story even though it was much quieter than I expected.  I’m just not sure how many of my students will be patient enough for it.

4 Comments on Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer by John Grisham

1. Mrs. Klein
    December 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm (12 years ago)

Thanks for your review. I was tempted to purchase this book for my middle school collection because I love Grisham, but I delayed, wondering about the book’s appeal to students. You have answered my question.

December 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm (12 years ago)

I haven’t had much luck talking middle schoolers into reading it yet. Of course, my lack of enthusiasm doesn’t sell it well.

2. Carol Satta
    December 4, 2011 at 7:33 pm (12 years ago)

Hi Kay,

I agree with your assessment of this book. Some middle school readers (especially boys who might pick up a book by a male author) will find the story too slow. On the other hand, I think this is a nice choice for upper elementary kids who enjoy series like The Hardy Boys but with the twist of the kid acting like a lawyer rather than primarily as a detective. Here my review: http://wcslibrary.edublogs.org/2010/08/29/theodore-boone-kid-lawyer-by-john-grisham/

December 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm (12 years ago)

I liked the twist of the kid lawyer rather than detective, but I hadn’t thought of hooking it with a series like The Hardy Boys. That may give me a better way to sell it.