Have you read and loved The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? Are you looking for something else to read? Look no further than Collins’ first series about Gregor the Overlander. These five books will take you on a journey far below the streets of New York City when Gregor tumbles down a laundry chute after his two-year-old sister Boots. There they are hailed as the Warrior and Princess and sent on death-defying quests to save the Underland.
Each book in the series leads you deeper into Underland and its many secrets, but it is not the adventures I love about these books. What I love are the characters. Here are my favorites. I can’t wait for you to meet them, too.
- Gregor, the reluctant warrior – Gregor is not sure about being the warrior. He doesn’t even like to fight, but he was born a Rager–someone who excels at fighting. All through each adventure, he struggles to balance his skill with his belief that war is not the answer to every problem.
- Boots, the princess – Even though she is only two years old, she shares much wisdom and is even Gregor’s “secret weapon.” She is quick to reach out to all the creatures of Underland.
- Luxa, the future Queen of Underland – Luxa can be haughty and proud, but she is loyal to her friends and to her people.
- Ares, the giant bat – Ares makes a life-changing decision when he gives his loyalty to Gregor. His incredible size and strength and humor lead them all through many dangers.
- Temp, the cricket – Most of the Underland regard crickets as dumb and not worthy of allegiance. Temp’s wisdom, though, can save Gregor and his friends if they would just listen. Temp would risk his life to save his Princess Boots.
- Ripred, the Rager rat – Ripred is my absolute favorite. He is grumpy and cantakerous, but he has a knack for showing up at just the right time. He may follow his own agenda, but he has wisdom from years of fighting and living.