Heart to Heart by Lurlene McDaniel

This book review comes with a warning:  Reading Lurlene McDaniel’s books can be addicting.  I see it every year.  One of my students–usually a girl–picks up one of McDaniel’s books and then goes on a reading binge, devouring novel after novel.  In fact, one of my students gave me Heart to Heart to read this week, saying, “This is the best book.  You have to read it.”  So I did.

Heart to Heart explores the complicated relationships between four teens who are brought together by tragedy.  Elowyn and Kassey are best friends.  Together, they dominate the volleyball team and watch each other’s back.  Then Elowyn gets a boyfriend–Wyatt.  The romance is stormy, and Kassey hates feeling left out.  Then a car crash leaves Elowyn brain dead.  Her parents honor Elowyn’s choice to be an organ donor.  Arabeth receives new life with the gift of Elowyn’s heart.  A year after the transplant, Arabeth agrees to meet Elowyn’s parents and later Kassey and Wyatt.  Elowyn’s heart draws all of them together in surprising ways.

I liked the alternating points of view between Kassey and Arabeth.  Kassey is devastated by her best friend’s death and anxious about meeting the girl who received her heart.  She is freaked out by the uncanny glimpses of Elowyn that Arabeth reveals.  Arabeth feels both grateful and guilty for the life that Elowyn’s death made possible.  She wants to learn as much as she can about Elowyn, but is unnerved by Elowyn’s intrusion into her personality.  Eventually, Kassey and Arabeth must work out a friendship that is built on more than the memory the girl whose heart now beats in Arabeth.

Like in the rest of her books that I’ve read, McDaniel gives an unflinching look at death and grief, but she doesn’t leave you without hope.  Yes, tragedy does happen and it is hard, but life can be good again.  I think it is the combination of her honesty and inspiration that makes her books so compelling.  I dare you to read just one.