War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

One of my students–a horse lover, of course–recommended War Horse (Scholastic 2007) to me last year.   I’m glad I listened to her advice because now I have a strong book to recommend for the animal-lovers I have this year.  Michael Morpurgo weaves a story about the bond between and horse and his boy that transcends all odds.

Joey, a red-bay with some thoroughbred bloodline in his past, tells the story.  Joey doesn’t trust the farmer who bought him, but loves his son Albert.  They are seperated by the trials of World War I when the farmer sells him to the British Army.  Now instead of pulling a plow, Joey must learn to charge the enemy, haul heavy artillery, and carry wounded soldiers from the battlefield.  Wherever he goes, Joey wins the admiration of all who know him, from the stallion Topthorn to little Emilie.

Back behind the lines of battle, Albert has joined the Army, with the veterinary corp.  He hopes to one day find his Joey as he cares for the other horses wounded and wearied by battle.  Then one day a muddy, filthy horse is rescued from no-man’s land–the space between the opposing armies.  Could it be?

Joey is a remarkable horse, and his is a remarkable story about the bonds between human and animal and the senselessness of war.  It has also been made into a movie.  Have any of you seen it or read it?

2 Comments on War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

1. Mrs. McGriff
    August 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm (13 years ago)

I think people learn more when they can see what the do well. It gets discouraging to only have people point out what’s wrong. Remember to use first name and last initial.

2. michelle kimmet
    August 20, 2011 at 11:43 pm (13 years ago)

to “Honor the ish” is to see what is perfect in the inperfection or to see the good side of things and not to say what is wrong with something but to encourage people to do there best.