Compound by SA Bodeen

Eli first entered the compound with his family when he was nine years old to escape the devastation of a nuclear attack on the United States.  Even though his wealthy father built and stocked the compound with everything they could need, Eli is feeling restless after six years underground.  Not only is he plagued with guilt over his missing twin brother Eddy and his grandmother, he is also beginning to question his father’s motives.  Is it too late now that his father will not let them leave?

Eli is not a likeable character at first.  Eddy was the good twin, the one who cared for others.  Eli was always more concerned with getting more fof himself, and now he keeps his sisters at a distance by being a first class jerk to them.  He’s not all bad, though.  As he begins to questions the facts their father has told them, he notices holes in the story.  He digs deeper and finds shocking answers that cause him to make choices that change him, and change the fates of all of them.  His father appears at first to be both brilliant and caring.  He thought through their every need and even many of their wants for their fifteen year stay in the compound.  As Eli learns more about his father, I realized he is perfectly evil and powerful.

The Compound is SA Bodeen’s first novel.  I found it to be an exciting read with many surprises revealed at just the right moment.  It raises the questions of just how far someone might go to survive.  How far should someone go in the name of science?  In the questions this book raises, it reminds me of Margaret Peterson Haddix’s Running Out of Time.

6 Comments on Compound by SA Bodeen

1. Madi
    August 11, 2011 at 11:12 pm (13 years ago)

Yes I am waiting to find the next 2 in the series but every store
    I look they don’t have it I’ve been looking for about 8 months

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      August 13, 2011 at 9:27 am (13 years ago)

I got the first three through the book order I give to my students. I just got the book order forms for fall, and the fourth book in the series is in it. Most book stores will order a book they don’t carry. Have you asked? Libraries, too, can often borrow books from other libraries for you if you don’t want to buy them. Good luck finding them!

Reply
  2. Madi
    August 8, 2011 at 3:59 am (13 years ago)

I think it was one Of the best books I’ve read it’s
    A tie with the missing book series by margaret Peterson haddix but I think a movie and another book continueing on with the plot

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      August 9, 2011 at 9:09 am (13 years ago)

Madi,
      I really liked this one, too. I think it will be a favorite. I also enjoyed Found by MPH, but I was frustrated at the end! I want to know who Jonah is in history. My daughter has read the next two and tells me I won’t find out for a while!

Reply
  3. Mrs. Klein
    August 4, 2011 at 9:48 am (13 years ago)

I agree that this book is exciting. I almost stopped reading it when I got to one shocking spot, but since I was listening to it in the car on my way to and from work, I stayed with it, and I’m glad I did. I highly recommend it.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      August 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm (13 years ago)

I think this one will be popular with my students. I really didn’t like Eli at first, but I think Bodeen did a good job making him a symapathetic character despite his attitutude at the beginning.

Reply