The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

forest of hands and teethWho knew that writing about the zombie apocalypse could be so beautiful?  I should have known.  I’ve been hearing about this book–nothing but good things–for a long time.  Thanks to one of my students, Mistina, I moved this one to the top of my pile to read over spring break. 

Carrie Ryan creates a world that is both beautiful and terrifying in The Forest of Hands and Teeth (Delacorte Press, 2009) . Mary lives in a village that is bound by both the fence that surrounds it and by the Sisterhood that guards its secrets.  Outside the fence roam the living dead, zombies that endlessly hunger for human flesh.  Inside the sisterhood lurk secrets that the sisters would kill to protect. 

Within this world, Mary is torn by the choices she must make:  between the one she loves and the one who loves her, between the freedom she yearns for and the commitments she is expected to honor.  Once the unthinkable happens–the Unconcecrated breach the fence–she must confront the Forest in order to claim her life. 

I love how Mary’s yearning weaves through every page of this novel.  I stand with her at the fence, wondering if there is any other life out there.  The mysteries are never completely revealed, but the action keeps Mary and me moving forward to life and hope. 

I may have come to this one late, but I will be ready to devour the next one, The Dead Tossed Waves and the next one, The Dark and Hollow Places (available March 22).  You can even see Carrie herself when she’s on tour.  Here’s the closest she’ll be to us:

Sunday, March 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joseph Beth Booksellers
2692 Madison Road
Cincinnati OH 45208
(513) 396-8960

What a great way to end spring break! 

(Picture from Titlewave)