A Friendship for Today by Patricia McKissack

friendship for todayRosemary Patterson’s life is topsy-turvey the year she enters sixth grade.  Her elementary school is closing for good.  She’ll start 6th grade at Robertson as one of the first African American students to enroll at the previously all white school.  Her best friend, JJ Stenson, was her only classmate going to Roberson with her until he comes down with polio over the summer.  Now Rosemary must face the first day of school alone.  The only other student she knows is Grace the Tastelss Hamilton, whose family makes no secret of their prejudices.  Once at school, Rosemary has to deal with the whispers and stares.  Much to her surprise, she learns that Grace is just as disliked as she is, and the two girls forge an unlikely friendship.

At home, life turns upside down, too.  Rosemary rescues a kitten from the railroad tracks where it lost a leg.  The kitten miraculously recovers, but there is no miracle to make her parents fall back in love.  The constant bickering between them only stops when Rosemary’s father moves into two rooms over his garage. 

I enjoyed this trip back in time.  McKissack brings the struggles of the 1950’s to life through a child’s eyes.  Rosemary faces the challenges in her life with courage and humor.  Each time she faces prejudice (such as Mr. Keggley, who is is sure that Rosemary needs remedial classes and awards her a gift certificate to a whites only restaurant for her second place finish in the spelling bee), she is bouyed by the support of many others ( including her teacher Mrs. Denapolis, who makes TOLERANCE the word of the year).    

I seem to be revisiting the 1950’s (and 1960’s) frequently in my reading this year.  What decade would you like to visit?

2 Comments on A Friendship for Today by Patricia McKissack

1. Carol Satta
    March 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm (13 years ago)

I also enjoyed this book. Felt realistic, not forced.

I was excited to try her “Clone Codes” that came out in 2010 which she co-wrote with her husband and son. Have you read it?

I liked the message but I felt the writing was not up to her usual standards. Our 5th grade teacher just tried it in a literature circle, and it got a thumbs down from the students. I blogged about Clone Codes:http://tinyurl.com/4oy6hae

March 12, 2011 at 7:39 am (13 years ago)

I haven’t read Clone Codes yet, but one of my 8th graders has been reading and enjoying it. I hadn’t made the connection yet that both books shared an author.