What’s a widget?

When I first started blogging, I was clueless.  What were these widgets people kept talking about?  Now I know.  Widgets are all those nifty things you see in the sidebars.  Widgets can include pictures, text, graphics, counters, badges…the choices are nearly endless. 

Just because the choices are endless doesn’t mean readers want my page to go on forever, so it’s time to take another look at just what’s on my sidebar as part of Kickstart Activity #7 in the Edublogs Teacher Challenge.   I first looked at my side bar when I chose my current theme.  I liked the flexibility using both a wide sidebar paired with two narrow sidebars.  All of the fit quite nicely on left side, but I did do some rearranging. 

I kept the two options for subcribing to my blog on the top.  Readers can follow with either an RSS feed or an email subscription.  Since many of my students (and their parents) are new to blogging I wanted to make sure they all had an option they were comfortable with.  Next comes the cluster map showing visitors to my site.  I love seeing new red dots show up and old ones grow bigger.  I feel much less lonely now.  I think the tag could and search box are some of the most useful widgets over there.  I don’t know how often my readers use them, but I use both to search for previous posts I want to refer to later.  I recently added a “What I’m Reading” box.  I tell my students how important it is to read, and I wanted to give them a glimpse into what I read.  I’ve considered upgrading to a bookshelf from Shelfari, but am passing at this point.  I have enough trouble updating just the text.  I can’t imagine how far behind I’d fall if I tried to link to another site and include graphics, too. 

I like the two narrow side bars that hang out next to each other.  Together they can present more information without someone having to scroll so far down the screen.  The one on the left holds my avatar, recent comments, and the meta links for getting into the controls of my blog.  I also have room over here to include different badges I pick up.  Right now my only badge is for Tera Lynn Child’s Splash Team, when I blogged about her new book coming out last summer.  In the future I may include other badges promoting more YA books and reading. 

The far side is a collection of links I want to share with my students.  I moved the Blogroll to the top of this stack because that’s where students and parents go to find the lastest posts written by students.  They are organized by class period to make individual students easier to find.  I also have a link to the blog written by our fabulous choral director.  The remaining links are grouped into different categories:  editorials, fun stuff, poetry, blogs by writers and blogs about books. 

Yes, there are a lot of widgets lined up over there, but I hope they become a resource for my students and their parents as they explore the world of reading YA literature.  I’m looking for good links to share.  I found several great posts reflecting on the use of widgets and side bars. Check them out!  What widgets do you like best? 

15 Comments on What’s a widget?

1. Anne Mirtschin
    February 4, 2011 at 11:16 pm (13 years ago)

Also meant to say that when I started blogging four years ago, someone mentioned widgets. I had no idea what they were, no one seemed to be able to give me an answer but over time I have come to understand what a widget is and find some to be really useful.

February 5, 2011 at 10:10 am (13 years ago)

Now that I know what they are, widgets are great!

2. Anne Mirtschin
    February 4, 2011 at 11:14 pm (13 years ago)

Great post! No matter what others suggest and recommend, first and foremost a blog belongs to its owner and must be customized to the content, goals, involvements etc of the blogger. It was really interesting to read what you have done, why you have done it bearing in mind all the time, what your needs are, your class needs and that of your perceived audience. I thorougly agree with you that the search bar is really important, as I use that for my own use all the time and rarely does it fail to find what I need.

February 5, 2011 at 10:12 am (13 years ago)

I agree that ultimately the blog needs to work as well for the blogger as well as for its readers. I did enjoy reading about different bloggers different approaches to widgets.

3. Britt Gow
    February 3, 2011 at 4:01 am (13 years ago)

Hi Kay,
    Thanks for participating in the Teacher’s Blogging Challenge and leaving a comment on my blog. Great work on reorganising your sidebar and widgets – I haven’t noticed this option of wide and narrow columns in the sidebar before. I have a great long list of links to web2.0 tools, science resources, teacher’s blogs and more, so this is a good way to organise these.
    My favourite widgets are my clustrmap and my badge. I hope we get another badge for completing this Challenge!

February 3, 2011 at 8:16 am (13 years ago)

I looked a while to find that layout. Like you, I have a lot of links I wanted to share. I keep adding more as I find them!

4. Jana
    February 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm (13 years ago)

Great post! I am going to use the “I’m currently reading….” I tried to keep up with Shelfari but I agree that it is easier to type in what I am reading. Thanks for the great idea.

February 3, 2011 at 8:17 am (13 years ago)

Thanks! I like the way the Shelfari widget looks; I just can’t keep up with it all.

5. mrsdkrebs
    February 2, 2011 at 11:31 pm (13 years ago)

Kay, I like this post. It’s neat how you are incorporating the teacher blogging challenge into your blogging with students, and encouraging a conversation with them, as well. I think that’s a good idea to link to others’ sidebars and what you liked about them. I learn something new every day!
    Denise Krebs

February 3, 2011 at 8:18 am (13 years ago)

I’m glad you liked the links. I’ve learned so much from reading other teachers’ blogs through this challenge. I can’t wait to share all of it with my students and help them improve their blogging, too.

6. Lydia Schultz
    February 2, 2011 at 11:25 pm (13 years ago)

I like your new and improved widget-ry. It seems very clean and clear. I too like the list of what you are reading. It is always surprising to me how little most people read, given how huge my stack of books always is. Ah well. As I once told my children who complained that I had too many books, “No, I just don’t have enough bookshelves!”

Thanks for the great post.

February 3, 2011 at 8:19 am (13 years ago)

I can relate to the not enough bookshelves! I have stacks of books everywhere. I think it’s important for my students to see I “practice what I teach.” I share my reading and writing with them as much as possible. This blog is a good way to start the conversation.

7. Jee Young
    February 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm (13 years ago)

Hello! I like how you added the what your reading to your side bar. I think that it is important for students to see that you are reading books as well, as a teacher! I love Jodi Picoult books. How is the book Having a Mary Spirit? I read her other book a while ago, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.
    –jee young

February 3, 2011 at 8:21 am (13 years ago)

I really like Having a Mary Spirit. It will be on the sidebar for quite a while since I am doing the Bible study in the back. I read about a chapter a week and then study the related Bible passages and discussion questions. I actually first discovered Jodi Picoult from my students when one was reading 19 Minutes. Since then several have read My Sister’s Keeper. Some of my favorite books come from my students!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on What’s a widget?

1. […] Michael, Janelle, Carol, Sarno, Tracey, Kevin, Jee, Ms B, Laurie, Kirby, Denise, Kay, Kathy, […]