Journal 1 for Football Hero by Tim Green

football_hero_pressI wouldn’t normally pick up a book about football since I’m not a big sports–especially football–fan. I’m reading it because it is on the Young Hoosier list for middle school this year. I’m glad I challenge myself to read all 20 books each year because I meet books and authors that I like that I would normally pass over. Football Hero by Tim Green is a great example. I’m not very far into the story, but already I’m hooked.

Like many books that have come before (the Harry Potter series, Finding Stinko, James and the Giant Peach), Ty is thrust into an over-the-top situation after losing his parents in a car crash. He now lives with his aunt and uncle. To say the least, they are not model parents, and Ty is treated even worse than their own daughter Charlotte. Come on, do you know any parents that won’t allow their nephew to use the indoor bathroom? That’s right, Uncle Gus and Aunt Virginia make Ty use the bathroom in an old, broken porta-potty set up in the woods. Ty sleeps in an unfinished porch with the plumbing and electrical wires still exposed. When he comes home late on his twelfth birthday, he is in serious trouble because Uncle Gus had a big surprise for his birthday. The surprise–a work permit to join the family business, Slatz’s Cleaning Services. Ty now gets to spend every afternoon and evening after school cleaning toilets in sleazy bars. Yeah, it’s extreme, but I understand why Tim Green chose to create such awful parental figures. It makes Ty more sympathetic and gives him even more obstacles to overcome. It also sets up an even bigger contrast with his older brother’s, Thane “Tiger” Lewis’s, situation. Tiger is a star football player for Syracruse, and expected to be a top-round draft pick for the NFL. No, it’s not believable, but I’m more than willing to go along for the ride.

One reason I’m willing to suspend my disbelief is that I like Ty.  He is scrappy and never gives up.  He’s picked on at school for being new, for reading all the time, for being scrawny, but when Coach V recruits him for the spring football camp, he jumps right in.  He has no equipment.  His only shoes are cheapo canvas sneakers with a slick sole.  When his shoelace breaks and he trips on his first run to catch a pass, he just yanks his shoes off and runs barefoot.  The quarterback can’t keep up with his speed.  When his uncle says no to football (because Ty has to scrub those toilets), he pesters his uncle to take him to the Saturday scrimmage anyway.  There he pesters Coach V into letting him play even though he couldn’t come to practice.  Remember those slick shoes?  They don’t work well in a football game in the rain.  He gets clobbered by the bullying defense and jumps right back up and begs to go in again.  Again he strips off his shoes and socks.  This time he evades the defense and reaches with everything he has to make the winning touchdown catch!  I think Ty can overcome any obstacle Uncle Gus throws at him.  I can’t wait to read more and see how he does it. 

Book cover from http://www.timgreenbooks.com/kids/contact.php#press

2 Comments on Journal 1 for Football Hero by Tim Green

1. Mrs. McGriff
    May 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm (13 years ago)

Jimmie,
    Ty is an easy character to like. His older brother turns out to be one of the football heroes. Guess who the other one is!
    If you like this book, check out the link above to Tim Green’s webpage. He’s written quite a few sports fiction books. You might like them, too.

Mrs. M

Reply
  2. Jimmie Slimp
    May 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm (13 years ago)

I am on chapter 30 and this is actually the best book i have read, Ty is a 12 year old and lives with his Aunt and Uncle, They treat him worse than thier own daughter. Ty is really nice and kind of awkward, He gave is cousin Charlette a Ipod Touch and she freaked out screaming thank you thank you thank you. Ty’s older brother Thane is a first round pick for the NFL, He gets picked my the JETS and gets a huge house and tells the kids to pick a room, He (in my opinion) would be one of the nicest people on earth.

Thanks for your time,
    Jimmie

Reply