Here’s looking at you…

And what does my blog see? Sometimes, it sees some great images that I include in my posts. Sometimes, not so much. As part of the Edublogs Teacher Challenge, Kick Start Activity 5 challenged me to look at how I use images in blog posts.  I have always talked with my students about the need to respect copyright, but I didn’t have much practical guidance to give them.

That is changing.  I just learned how to find, download, upload, at attribute an image from FlickerCC.  (L love how a different search category shows up every time I visit.)  I even added some links (under Fun Stuff on the right side) for students to find it easily.  I also learned how to create and embed a form using Google Docs.  You can see it bright and early tomorrow morning when it publishes as the next post in my series for No Name Calling Week.  Instead of the image in five words, I asked my students to write a six word response to the image since we worked with six word memoirs last semester.   You can click here to find it once it publishes. 

I also wanted to learn how to add a photo gallery rather than just a single image.  I snapped some pictures of my classroom. Can you tell what we are all about?

I would love to include book covers in my book review posts, but I’m not sure of how copyright applies in that situation?  Does anyone know the answer:  Can you scan (or download) images of a book cover to include in a book review.  I’ve seen a lot of blogs that do.

5 Comments on Here’s looking at you…

1. Janelle Wilson
    January 26, 2011 at 9:36 am (13 years ago)

I love all of the books! I think I am going to pick your brain later about what books I should add to my science classroom library. You definitely look like someone in the know.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm (13 years ago)

I love nothing better than dishing good books. You can pick my brain anytime. I’ll start thinking of good science-related titles my students like.

Reply
  2. Anne Mirtschin
    January 26, 2011 at 2:40 am (13 years ago)

Love the images of your classroom. I can see that reading is important and I love the way you have captured that. The photo gallery looks great doesn’t it. If people cannot see the images well, they can just click on them and they enlarge. I wonder about the covers of books and adding their photographs too. However, it is probably great advertising for them and would actually be to their benefit. There is a widget for shelfari. Have you seen that? You can add it to the sidebar and show the books you are reading – but it might be adult books. If you look for Jess McCulloch and http://www.technolote.com, she is part of the challenge and I think has used it.
    Do you think that ebooks will eventually replace the hard copy books?

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 26, 2011 at 6:52 am (13 years ago)

I love the photo gallery. I will be using it again–hopefully frequently, if I can remember to get my camera out! I haven’t tried Shelfari, but the widget sounds cool. I have a Kindle and love it, but it won’t replace regular books for me. I think there is room for both. I love the fact I can take the Kindle with me anywhere, but I also love sharing my books. I’m not quite ready to hand my Kindle over to my students!

Reply

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Here’s looking at you…

1. […] Marg, Claire, Russell, Kelly, Denise, Scott, Michael, Jodi, Mel, Yvonne, Amy, Micki, Nancy, Anne, Kay, Mrs H, Andrea, cswetavage, Sandra, Karla, Anna, Pam, Dorene, Laurie, Natasa, Mr Carson, Carol, […]