Across the Universe

I am so excited.  Today you–and I–can finally get my hands on Across the Universe by Beth Revis.  Beth is from my home state of NC, and I have been hooked and waiting to read this book every since I read the first chapter posted on the official website. And now I get to help usher this book into the world!  But first, you need to check out the website where you can explore the spaceship Godspeed.  I had to borrow my daughter’s new laptop because our home computer was not playing nice this morning. Not only can you explore different levels of the ship, you can download wallpapers (not on the schoool computers, please) and upload cool avatars (you know, for your blogs).  You never know, something might show up on this blog from it. This ship is like an entire world.  Did you know they even raise animals on it?  The crew lives and dies and raises children to replace them–all enclosed within the walls of the ship.  I’m not sure I’d like that.  They are travelling, but never get to leave. 

You can check out this excusive interview with Beth as she tells a little about the book and herself (hey, she used to be a teacher, too!):

If you missed the trailer for Across the Universe the last time I posted it, here it is again:

Doesn’t it sound good?  I know I can’t wait to read it. 

If you are a part of Facebook, join the Facebook fan page.  You can enter a contest with very cool prizes over there. Just send a picture of you with the book. 

I know you want more.  Follw Beth and her adventures as a writer in all the following locations:

Now, go, find a copy of Across the Universe, and READ!  If you can’t get out to a bookstore today, explore the Godspeed at http://www.acrosstheuniversebook.com

OR you can read a 111 page exerpt at io9’s website.  Don’t delay!  These 111 pages will only be up from 11:11 am – 11:11 pm today, 1-11-11. 

What would you do?  Would you go ahead and be frozen for 300 years as you join your parents on a spaceship hurtling across the universe?  Or would you walk right back out the door into life on Earth with other people in your family who love you?

4 Comments on Across the Universe

1. Mrs. McGriff
    January 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm (13 years ago)

I’m trying to resist downloading it on my Kindle so I can have a copy to share with my class. I’ve been following Beth’s blog for a while. It’s exciting to see this happen today.

• mrsjwilson
      January 12, 2011 at 12:35 pm (13 years ago)

I read the first 111 pages from the link you posted. Then, I had to get it on my Kindle. I finished it up this morning. What a great book! I am sure my students would love it. And I see it’s part of a trilogy? I can’t wait to see where it goes from here.

Thanks so much for pointing the book out to me!

January 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm (13 years ago)

Now I’m jealous! We’re still to snowed in to get to a bookstore, but at least I have something to look forward to!

2. mrsjwilson
    January 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm (13 years ago)

What a great book find! It does look amazing, and I think it would be a great addition to my class library. I know what I’ll be doing the rest of the day – reading those available 111 pages!

Oh – and I would totally be frozen and go into space. Exploration and discovery about the universe is totally worth the risk. (I’m a huge space/science nerd. Can you tell?)