Reading News Flash

I have finally finished reading and grading all you memoirs.  Now I can dive into all those books stacked on the corner of my desk.  It’s a good thing Thanksgiving break is coming up!

I am impressed with how much all of you are reading.  Here are the totals from your reading reflections. 

• Third period (with 24 students) has finished 74 books.  Megan M and Adam Do tie for most books read with 10 a piece.  Click on their names to see which titles they’ve read. 
  • Fifth period (with 23 students) is close behind.  They’ve finished 67 books.  These guys spread out the reading work.  Everybody (everybody who posted this blog assignment anyway) read at least two books.  Kayli P tops the list with 6 books. 
  • Next comes 2nd period (with 21 students) with a total of 64 books.  (Do you notice there are fewer students, here?)  Charity A has read 13 books, and Zach T has devoured 11. 
  • Sixth period (with just 19 students) has read 56 books.  Kayla M (10 books) and Ariel G (8 books) lead the way for this class.
  • Fourth period (with 26 students) has read 53 books.  Trinaty H gets top honors for completing 7 books. 

That means we have read a total of….(drumroll, please–just not on your desks)…314 books!  Way to go Pioneers!  That means we need to read 866 more books to reach our goal of 1200 for Scholastic’s Classroom Cares.  Can we do it?  YES, WE CAN!

I can’t wait to hear about the books you will book talk next week.  If you’re still looking for a good book to read, browse the titles on your classmates’ blogs.  There are some excellent suggestions.  Pay attention to the book talks to see what else sounds good.

I’ve heard of so many good books coming out soon that I want to read.  Here’s a science fiction one you don’t want to miss.  You can check out the first chapter of Across the Universe by Beth Revis on her blog.  Seventeen-year-old Amy agrees to follow her parents and be frozen for a 300 year journey in a spaceship to a new planet.  After reading the description of the freezing process in Chapter 1, I can’t believe Amy didn’t just walk away.  OUCH!  Anyway, she wakes up 50 years too soon only to discover that someone on the spaceship is trying to kill her.  If she can’t figure out who, her parents are next.  Who wants to buy me this for Christmas? 

So what book are you eager to pick up next?  Keep on reading!